Saturday, August 21, 2010

Roly-Poly Pudding

I have some very vivid memories of being in my Nana's kitchen while she made roly-poly for pudding. It was always a last minute thought - she would whip it up so quickly and it was always so delicious. I haven't found quite the right recipe to match my Nana's light and soft roly-poly pudding, but this one comes close to the old-fashioned British pudding and is oh so delicious.


Roly-Poly Pudding

200 gms flour
pinch salt
1 TBSP Baking Powder
115gms butter
50gms brown sugar
150ml water (approx)
5 TBSP Jam
2 TBSP Milk
Demerara Sugar

Sift flour, salt, baking powder together. Add butter and sugar. I mix all this in my food processor.
Slowly add water until the ingredients combine in a lump, but is not too wet.
Roll out on a floured surface until it is approximately 5mm thick. Spread with jam, leaving the ends clear. Roll up and pinch ends together. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 30-40 minutes at 200degC.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I was just looking through a Jamie Oliver cookbook yesterday and thought I will make his jam roly on the week-end. Never made one before but I ate them and loved them as a kid. Seeing this post has confirmed yes I really need to give it a go. Jamie includes fresh strawberries in his so I'll be keen to see how that works.

    ReplyDelete